What is iLASIK?
iLASIK is a highly refined laser eye surgery procedure procedure in which the Long Island eye surgery reshapes the cornea to correct refractive errors such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. The iLASIK procedure combines 3 advanced technologies: CustomVue™ wavefront technology, the Intralase blade-free laser, and the VISX Star 4 Excimer Laser.
How does it work?
The iLASIK procedure is completed in the following 3 steps:
- Your doctor will use the CustomVue™ wavefront technology to create a detailed map of your eye.
- A thin corneal flap will be created using a femtosecond laser (at OCLI we use the Intralase Femtosecond laser).
- To make the necessary adjustments in the eye, your doctor will use the VISX Star 4 Excimer Laser.
Once the eye has been properly treated, the corneal flap is replaced and you’re done!
Is the iLASIK procedure right for me?
iLASIK is approved to correct mild to severe nearsightedness, farsightedness, and all types of astigmatism. There are requirements when it comes to safely receiving LASIK. Some factors that exclude you from safely receiving LASIK include:
- Being under the age of 21
- Having previous eye disease or injury
- Having medical conditions such as diabetes
- Having an unstable prescription
Of course, you always have options. If you are not a good candidate for LASIK, there may be a similar procedure that is a better fit.
Is iLASIK safe?
iLASIK is considered one of the safest eye procedures to date. iLASIK has an extremely high success rate throughout the world. As with every surgery, however, iLASIK does come with risks. iLASIK complications are rare, but include:
- Dry eye symptoms
- Reduction of vision or the possible need for glasses or contact lenses after surgery
- Halos, glare, starbursts, ghost images and other visual symptoms
When performed by a reputable doctor on a patient who is low risk, these side effects are extremely rare.
How much does it cost?
The main concern with many of our patients who are interested in iLASIK is the cost. iLASIK is not inexpensive, but with good reason. Over time, the cost of iLASIK is less than that of continually updating prescription glasses and contacts.
The average price of iLASIK runs at about $2,100-$2,500 per eye. At OCLI, we want to make iLASIK accessible to as many patients as possible. That is why we offer financing options to make payment easier.