We had a chance to celebrate last week at OCLI! We found out that we were the # 1 premium IOL provider in NJ. Premium IOLs are “botique” implants used after cataract surgery and refractive lens exchange (RLE) to reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses. These lenses include those to treat both distance and reading (ReSTOR, Crystalens, and Technis MultiFocal), and those that treat astigmatism and distance vision (Acrysof Toric.)
Why are we # 1? I think it is because we do a better job.. As I’ve blogged about before, there are two types of surgeons who perform cataract surgery:
- Cataract surgeons, whose prime goal is to improve your best corrected vision (with glasses)
- Refractive cataract surgeons, whose prime goal is improve your vision and reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses.
In my opinion any surgeon who is offering premium IOLs MUST have the following attributes:
- Must be performing perfect, pristine cataract surgery, on a very consistent basis. This only comes with experience and volume. I would suggest going to a surgeon who does over 30 cataracts a month.
- Must fully understand refractive surgery. One of the biggest complaints I get from patients who see me for second opinions after premium IOL implantation is that they are unhappy with some aspect of their vision. Most of these patients have a residual refraction in their eyes. A simple LASIK procedure will usually correct this problem. Many times, their operating surgeon does not offer this as an option, as they do not provide LASIK services.
- Must have vast experience in premium IOL implantation. There are many nuances that must be overcome to achieve success in the refractive cataract patient. I would suggest going to a surgeon who does at least 20% premium IOL implantations of his cataract volume.