Bike riding is fun, gets you outside, and it’s good for you, too. It’s no secret that I’m, shall we say, a bit of a bike enthusiast. If you live in New Jersey like me, there’s no better time than now to hit the trails – and I’ve got some bicycling tips for any New Jersey bike fanatic.
Find a New Jersey Bike Shop
It’s hard to go for a bike ride without a bike. If you need a new one, check out these area shops below. If your bicycle is good to go, you can turn to them for service as needed – regular maintenance is important when you’re riding that bike every chance you get!
- Cycle Craft
Dr Silverman’s Bike Shop
99 US Highway 46
Parsippany, NJ 07054
973.227.4462Get fitted for a bike that really works. They also offer also repairs, bike rentals, and all the accessories you need to hit any New Jersey trail in style (and safely).
- Bike Land
461 Bloomfield Avenue
Caldwell, NJ 07006
Since 1992, Bike Land has taken care of the community’s bicycle needs. Let them handle all of your bike needs, too.
- Marty’s Reliable Cycle of Morristown
173 Speedwell Ave
Morristown, NJ 07960
A long time family business – if you need a fat bike, or want to try out a new electric bike, this is the place to go. They’ve been in business since 1978.
- Whippany Cycle
971 State Route 10
Whippany, NJ 07981
Visit this bike shop for all the gear you need, from helmets to bicycles to service.
New Jersey Bike Clubs
If you love bicycling, why not commit to making bike riding a bigger part of your life? Join a bicycle club in New Jersey and meet people with the same interest as you.
- Morris Area Free Wheelers
Dr Silverman is a member! One of New Jersey’s largest and most active bike clubs: Over 1400 scheduled rides a year on some of the state’s most scenic roads.Rides start from more than 50 different locations:
From the Highlands in the north to the rolling hills near the Shore, the majority in
Morris, Somerset, Sussex, Hunterdon, and Warren counties.
- The Bicycle Touring Club of North Jersey boasts more than 1,500 members. Year-round rides, social events, and bike tours make it a family-friendly favorite. The Ramapo Rally is a favorite club-sponsored event, with six routes to choose from, from the twelve-mile jaunt to the massive 125-mile trek.
- The Central Jersey Bicycle Club organizes bicycle rides for members of all abilities, sponsoring rides all year long. Cold weather doesn’t need to hold you back! Look for rides that vary from 10-mile trips to large 62.2-mile-long treks that span across several New Jersey counties. A major event includes the 32nd Annual Farmlands Flat Tour. The May 2016 ride includes family-friendly 18, 25, and 38 mile rides as well as more grueling 50 and 100 mile rides.
- South Jersey Wheelmen Bicycle Club organizes events throughout multiple counties. Organized in 1979, monthly meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month (except for December).
If you want to take your bike riding to the next level, consider joining the New Jersey Bicycling Association. With more than eighty races each season, the NJBA can help you know when and where the races can be found.
What to Bring
Always wear a helmet. If you ever go on a night ride, you will need a front and rear headlamp as well. Since our weather can be a little unpredictable, carry along a waterproof jacket. It’s also a good idea to pack along your driver’s license or state ID, an energy bar, and some cash in case of an emergency.
Finally, never forget a pair of sunglasses. Prescription glasses keeping you from wearing those stylish, protective shades? Talk to OCLI about LASIK and ditch those glasses forever. See you on the trail !!