Nutrition and Eye Health
Our main goal at OCLI is the health and happiness of our patients. Preventative eye care is very important to us. That is why we offer our eye health recommendations to our patients. Nutrition has a great effect on the health of our eyes, making proper nutrition extremely important.
Omega-3s and Eye Health
You may have heard that taking Omega-3 fatty acid supplements is beneficial to your eye health. Omega-3 supplements help prevent diseases such as macular degeneration and dry eye syndrome. While this is all true, it is also important to note that not all omega-3 supplements were created equal. Some brands of omega-3 supplements are better for eye health than others. Our doctors at OCLI recommend the omega-3 supplement manufactured by Physician Recommended Nutriceuticals® (PRN). PRN provides the purest, most therapeutically potent omega-3 based nutritional supplements possible. All of PRN’s omega-3 based products, when taken as recommended, deliver a therapeutic amount of omega-3 EPA and DHA.
Additionally, PRN’s eye health nutritional supplements are the recommended choice of OCLI because:
- PRN’s omega-3 formulation is a re-esterified triglyceride, the form naturally found in fish, but with no mercury, PCBs, dioxin, or alcohol.
- PRN’s products are formulated to maximize your body’s absorption with no side effects – a claim that store-bought brands can’t deliver
- PRN’s manufacturing standards guarantee a much higher level of purity and safety for our patients
- PRN products are specifically designed for eye health & relief of dry eye symptoms
- PRN products are recommended by the world’s leading ophthalmologists
For more information on PRN products and where you can find them, contact OCLI.
Nutrition That Supports Eye Health
Besides taking omega-3 supplements, what else can you do to promote good eye health? In general, a healthy diet rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin E and beta carotene. Foods such as spinach, grapefruit, strawberries, carrots, and sunflower seeds are examples of foods rich in these essential nutrients. A well-rounded diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables will be the most beneficial for eye health, as well as overall health.
For more information on how your nutrition affects your eye health, contact one of our offices throughout Long Island, or schedule an appointment online!